Just came back from a one week holiday, and saw the trailer for The Darkest Minds. The book by Alexandra Bracken was one of the YA series I had followed when I was younger, so I went into this with a definite level of anticipation.
Unfortunately, it doesn’t look too good.
- I think Amanda Stenberg is a good actress and a good choice for YA type movies (I liked her in Everything, Everything and of course The Hunger Games.) She seems to be a pretty competent lead here, one of the few good things I’d gleaned from the trailer.
- The supporting cast doesn’t seem particularly strong; not unlike those in underwhelming YA films such as The Fifth Wave and Divergent.
- Dialogue seems pretty questionable already… and it’s just the trailer.
- The set pieces/visual effects seem to be fringing on TV movie type effects; even down to the font used.
- Not one moment was particularly inspiring/impactful at all
- There is diversity; interesting to see how young actress Miya Cech will carry her role.
For now, this seems like it’ll probably go the way of underwhelming films such as The Fifth Wave.