The first Fantastic Beasts movie was by no means bad, but didn’t quite live up to its predecessor, the admittedly rather untoppable Harry Potter series.
The first trailer for Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald dropped about 2 days ago, and here are my immediate thoughts:
1. Jude Law as Dumbledore: Maybe its a physical resemblance thing, but I just didn’t see Jude Law as Dumbledore, I kind of saw Jude Law as Jude Law. Or perhaps it’s the grin that introduces us to him; I don’t think I’ve seen old Dumbledore ever break a smile like that before.
2. Beasts feature heavily: I guess true to the name of the series, the trailer features shots of many different beasts, some that we haven’t seen yet. Not sure if this is necessarily a good thing; I thought the scenes involving the tracking down of the different beasts in the first movie were actually the lackluster ones.
3. Grindelwald appears only briefly: For a film entitled Crimes of Grindelwald, you’d think they showcase the villain more in the trailer. I wonder if it’s got to do with the accusations against Johnny Depp in his personal life right now.
4. What was the last scene? Slamming their wands into the ground to cast a spell better not become a thing… it feels so wrong!
5. Balance between supporting cast: I wonder big a role the supporting cast of the first film will have given the many new additions; having Jude Law as Dumbledore and Johnny Depp as Grindelwald tells me that they’re probably going to have meaty roles. While Porpentina and Jacob do appear in the trailer briefly, with Jacob having a nice scene to himself, Queenie doesn’t really seem to appear at all, and there’s still a whole group of new cast members including one played by Zoe Kravitz. Will the original supporting cast begin to fade into unimportance as the Dumbledore/Grindelwald story takes centre stage? Curious to see how things play out.
Overall I thought the trailer was a nice introduction to the second film of the Fantastic Beasts series.